Sweet Pumpkin Rotti / Roti / Cheeni kayi thalipittu



Sweet pumpkin also called as Cheeni Kaayi - ಚೀನಿ ಕಾಯಿ, Sihi Kumbala kaayi ಸಿಹಿ ಕುಂಬಳ ಕಾಯಿ  in Kannada is one of my favorite vegetables (though I love almost all vegetables pretty much). 

My favorite recipe out of pumpkin is Thalipittu -can be vaguely defined as Rice Roti.

I ate Thalipittu first time at my sister's house during my college days. After my marriage, I started cooking this. Once my neighbor came and asked what I was cooking after experiencing the awesome smell of this recipe :).

I am very happy to share this recipe with you all. Please try out and let me know your views.

Well grown pumpkin is always suggested to use for Thalipittu.

Ingredients

Pumpkin - 1/4 of a large one (as shown in the pic below)
Onion - 3 small
Green Chillies - 3 to 4
Daniya / Coriander - 3 spoons
Methi/ Fenugreek seeds - 1 spoon
Rice flour - 1 cup
Jaggery - 2 small lemon sized
Salt to taste

Method

Wash the pumpkin, remove the skin, seeds and inner most soft portions from it. Cut into slices and grate them.

Roast coriander seeds and Methi seeds in a very low flame until you get nice flavor. Grind the roasted coriander and Methi seeds into fine powder.

Mix grated pumpkin, coriander, Methi powder, jaggery and keep it aside for minimum 3-4 hours.  You may keep this overnight as well.

Now add finely chopped onions, green chillies, salt, rice flour and mix to prepare the dough.

Apply the oil on a thick plastic sheet / banana leaf. Take a handful of dough and spread over the sheet (in a round shape).

Heat the thick tawa, apply the oil and transfer the Thalipittu into the tawa. Close the lid and cook for about 1.5 to 2 mins. Apply a little oil on top and cook the other side for about 1.5 minutes. Yummy sweet pumpkin Thalipittu is ready to serve.

Methi flour adds extra flavor to the Thalipittu. It tastes awesome too. You can vary the quantity of jaggery as per on your taste.

Note :- We can use Mangalore Cucumber instead of Pumpkin.

Please keep reading my subsequent blogs to see how pumpkin skin can be used too).

Pumpkin

Skin & inside portion has been removed

Grated Pumpkin




Fried and powdered Coriander & Methi Seeds

Mix all ingredients and spread on a Plastic sheet

Thalipittu being cooked

Pumkin Thalipittu

































Sweet Pumpkin Rotti, Cheeni kayi thalipittu, sweet pumpkin recipes, sweet pumpkin thalipittu, cheeni kayi recipes, gove kayi recipes, gove kayi thalipittu, thalipittu recipes, healthy breakfast recipes

Comments