Touch me not tambuli / Nachike mullina tambuli / Mimosa pudica tambuli



Nachike mullu / "touch me not" plant as the name says it all, closes its leaves when we touch it.  I am sure many of you would have had the thrill of touching these plants during childhood.

Touch me not plant is said to have many medicinal properties. The roots of plant were studied for wound healing properties. Leaves are used to alleviate depression.

In our Malenadu region, kashaya (decoction) prepared using the roots are given to people suffering from piles problems. This kashaya is also said to cure stomach worms and fever.

My mother used to make tambuli using these leaves. 

Tambuli is a dish prepared using a small quantity of leafy vegetables grinded along with coconut, spices (red chilli / green chilli / pepper) and mixed with large quantity of butter milk. Sometimes this can also be added up with seasoning for better taste. However seasoning is optional.

When I found lot of these plants in my neighbor's garden, plucked them with their permission and cooked the tambuli, clicked the pics and sharing here with. 

For video of the recipe, click here.

Ingredients

Touch me not leaves - 1 medium sized bunch
Grated coconut - 6 to 8 spoons
Ghee - 1 spoon
Cumin seeds - 1/2 spoon
Green chillies - 2 to 3
Butter milk - 1 cup
Garlic - 3 cloves (optional) 
Salt to taste

Method

Cut touch me not stems along with leaves and bring home. Separate out only leaves as shown in the photos. Be bit careful while cutting / separating.You can wear glouse while cutting so that not to get hurt by thorns.

Wash touch me not leaves. Heat a kadai. Add ghee, jeera, garlic cloves and then green chillies. After 10 seconds add touch me not leaves and roast for about 3 to 4 minutes. Allow it to cool down.

Grind this along with grated coconut, salt and butter milk using a mixer grinder. Transfer the content onto a vessel. 















Mimosa pudica tambuli, Mimosa pudica raita, Mimosa pudica recipes, touch me not tambuli, touch me not raita, nachike mullina tambuli, nachike mullina raita, lajjalu recipes, sensitive plant recipes, sensitive plant raita, muttidare muni tambuli


Comments